It is typical in Hawaii for a man and woman to have children without getting married, and continue in a relationship for years as a family unit. Unfortunately, just as in the case of married couples, break-ups occur, in which case the father and mother must then make decisions regarding custody of the children.

Because the parties were not married, the only forum to determine their custodial rights is the Family Court through the filing of a paternity action. In such a case, the Family Court will decide issues regarding legal custody, physical custody, child support, and past due maintenance, such as medical bills and other expenses.

If you are a mother or father involved in a paternity dispute and would like to discuss your rights and options, please contact us for a free consultation so that we can determine the best way to protect your interests as a parent.

Contact Us

Fill out the contact form or call us at (808) 546-1200 to schedule your free consultation.

Free Initial Consultation