Mitchell S. Wong
Phone: (808) 546-1200
Fax: (888) 402-9041
1136 Union Mall #804
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Mitchell S. Wong has been a lawyer in Hawaii since 1991, when he began his career at the law firm of David C. Schutter. At the time, the law firm was known as Schutter & Glickstein, and the focus of the law firm's practice was plaintiff's personal injury and business/civil litigation. In time, Mr. Wong became a partner at the law firm, which was then restyled as Schutter Dias Smith & Wong.
Through the years, Mr. Wong's litigation practice has included a broad array of personal injury and civil claims, such as representing clients who were seriously injured in motor vehicle accidents, while on the premises of a commercial enterprise, or while using a defective product, as well as representing clients in wrongful death claims based on negligence. Mr. Wong also has litigated numerous claims for clients who suffered property damage due to the flooding of their homes, defective construction, or mold, or who have sustained damages in real estate transactions or in business disputes.
In 2004 Mr. Wong started his present law firm. While Mr. Wong has continued his diverse work in personal injury and civil litigation, he has also expanded his practice to include family law matters, like divorce, child custody proceedings, paternity, Child Protective Services proceedings, and adoption.Illustration of Select Cases, Settlements, Verdicts, Decisions
- Insurance coverage dispute, resolved with tender of $1,000,000 of full coverage for client, as well as payment of attorney’s fees and costs
- Construction defects claim, resolved at $440,000
- Flooding damage to a residential home, resolved at $275,000
- Soil intrusion into a home, resolved at $150,000
- Pesticide contamination, resolved at $220,000
- Premises liability claim, resolved at $375,000
- Slip & fall at Hawaii tourist attraction, resolved at $130,000
- Slip & fall at grocery store, resolved at $140,000
- Motor vehicle accident resulting in neck, arm and leg injury, resolved at $300,000
- Defective motor vehicle, resolved at $95,000
- Defective lift, resolved at $125,000
- Pedestrian accident where individual outside of the crosswalk was injured, resolved at $95,000
- Mother injured at work, resolved at $150,000
- Negligent provision of insurance, resolved at $185,000
- Negligent supervision of child in school, resolved at $160,000
- Negligent flooding of business, resolved at $180,000
- Briefed appeal in Ozaki v. AOAO Discovery Bay, which established new law regarding general damage claims for plaintiffs with respect to emotional distress and loss of enjoyment.
- Briefed appeal in Omori v. Jowa Hawaii, Inc., which established that an in utero fetus' claim is not barred by the Hawaii Worker's Compensation Statute.
- Briefed appeal in Montalvo v. City and County of Honolulu, which established new law regarding apportionment for a plaintiff’s pre-existing injuries.
J.D., University of Minnesota, 1990
B.A., Occidental College, 1983
Pearl City High School, 1979
- Hawaii State Bar Association.
- United States District Court for the District of Hawaii.
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Principal, Law Offices of Mitchell S. Wong 2004 to present
- Partner, Schutter Dias Smith & Wong 2000 to 2004
- Associate, David C. Schutter & Associates (fka Schutter & Glickstein) 1991 to 1999
- Law Clerk of Judge Harry Tanaka, Intermediate Court of Appeals 1990 to 1991